Tuesday, June 29, 2004

New Zealand Travels (2003-03-08)

"After the flight I caught the shuttle bus to the domestic terminal, flew out from Aukland to Christchurch ( meeting a local university professor on the way) and phoned for my to the Christchurch YHA. All very smooth. I arranged my rrom, moved in and sorted myself out. Flying for that length of time is very taxing and I felt very jet lagged. Not enough to required immeidate sleep, just enough to give everything a sense of unreality.

So what was my first impressoin of New Zealnd as expressed through Christchurch? Very positive. The city is clean, the air is not noticeably polluted (unlike London) and there is very little traffic in the centre. It reminded of Stratford-on-Avon in places and colonial Williamsburg in others. Of far greater note is the attitude of the New Zealand people. There seemed to be very few old and infirm people, everyone seemed young and out to enjoy life - regardless of their outward appeared of age. The Kiwi people I have met so far have been kind, thoughtful and courteous. Costs are reasonable too with NZ$17 getting a beer and very tasty fish and chips (large portion served Mad Megs style with newspaper) from an outside terrace bar in the hear of the city next to the cathedral. Way less expensive than a Little Chef on a grotty motorway back in grimy England. Even at this early stage I am included to feel that New Zealand is what Britain should aspire to become."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home