Tuesday, June 29, 2004

New Zealand Travels (March 23rd, 2003)

"Spent all morning back at the climbing wall. I think I’m developing a keen interest in this so I’m going to take it up once I get back home. In the afternoon Chris and I headed off to the spas and boiled in the hot waters. Once again the evening Tamaki was Tamaki time, mainly because I wanted to purchase one of the wood carvers sculptures. After the usual process I was able to visit the wood carver, Red, and was dismayed to see that the wood carving that I was after was marked not for sale. Disaster.

It turned out that these pieces are commissioned pieces only and are representative of the family history of the person requesting the work. If I was willing to lay down about 1200 bucks I could have one made. I took the guys email address and I’ll consider it.

While I was wandering about Chris spied a taiaha – the traditional Maori fighting instrument. As soon as I laid eyes on it I know I wanted one. What better reminder could I have of my travels through the country? The only problem was that Chris had bought the last one. I was a little disappointed but not exactly distraught. It turned out that Chris was a bit of a weapons collector and had studied jujitsu for some time, so it seemed fitting that he should get the chance to own one."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home