Tuesday, June 29, 2004

New Zealand Travels (March 24th, 2003) Horse Riding

"Myself, Chris, Amy and Donny headed south on the Magic Bus to Turangi. On the way we had to pass through Taupo so that various people could have a chance at a skydive. Since we had a few hours to kill, Chris and I opted for an afternoon of horse trekking. (Well one has to try these things).

Useful pointers for dealing with horses:-
1) As soon as you sit on the horse he’ll try to eat – don’t let him or he’ll think you’re soft
2) Hold the reins in both hands – right rein with gently (but firm) pressure makes horse go in the direction
3) When trotting keep in time with the natural rhythm of the horse of you’ll lose a testicle or two
4) When cantering lean back in the saddle and relax, let the horse take you

I think I was still psyched up from my rock climbing adventures so as I climbed aboard my horse, Leo, I wasn’t in the slightest bit concerned. We went for a short trial stroll while got the hang of steering and then we were off.

Before long we had left the farm behind and I had experienced my first trot – ouch. (Mental note: check number of testicles on safe return). A little after that and one of the guides suggested a canter. I thought "Why the hell not?" So off we went. What a thrill! Zooming over the countryside on the back of a horse trying not to fall off but not wanting the ride to end either. We did this a couple of times more and each time I grew more confident – steering Leo around and over various obstacles and getting him to walk on, trot and slow down as I wanted. All in all, a pretty good way to spend to sunny afternoon.

[Evening activities: Censored.]"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home